Hiring a Xarelto Lawyer
Hitting the market in the latter part of 2011, the popular anticoagulant drug Xarelto has been widely prescribed to help lower the risk of dangerous blood clots, pulmonary embolism and strokes in patients diagnosed with atrial fibrilation and who recently underwent hip or knee replacement surgery. Xarelto (rivaroxaban) is one of a new breed of direct thrombin inhibitor anticoagulants and was developed by Bayer in conjunction with the Janssen Pharmaceuticals subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.
While achieving early success with physicians nationwide, increasing numbers of adverse event reports relating to dangerous, uncontrollable Xarelto bleeding are causing alarm. Not surprisingly, Xarelto attorneys are now reviewing cases to determine whether litigation should be initiated by those who have been harmed by the medication.
FDA concerns about Xarelto and other direct thrombin inhibitors
Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate), the first entrant into the market for new anticoagulant drugs, shares many similarities with Xarelto, including a history of controversy and escalating litigation. Both drugs were touted as being far superior to the more traditional anti-clotting drug, Coumadin (warfarin). However, unlike Coumadin, neither Pradaxa nor Xarelto have an antidote that can be administered to counteract serious bleeding issues that may arise. This fact has contributed to the growing number of complaints and severe injuries being reported with regard to these medications. Since 2011, Xarelto has exceeded Pradaxa in the number of formal adverse event reports submitted to the FDA related to its use, a fact that has not escaped the attention of dangerous drug lawyers across the country.
February of 2014 witnessed a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) denial of Bayer and Johnson & Johnson’s requests to gain approval for Xarelto to be used as a treatment for acute coronary syndrome. The agency determined that the drug makers did not sufficiently demonstrate that the medication was either safe or effective for the intended use. This marked the third instance in which the FDA declined to expand the list of approved uses for Xarelto, a move seen by some as lending support to the chorus of concerns being raised about its bleeding risks.
Why Xarelto attorneys are mobilizing
Despite its head start on the new generation anticoagulant market, Pradaxa has lost ground as Xarelto sales have increased exponentially since its introduction. Since then, Pradaxa has been the subject of extensive product liability litigation, with its manufacturer Boehringer Ingelheim ultimately agreeing to a $650 million settlement of some 4,000 claims. Given the close similarities between Pradaxa and Xarelto and the onslaught of complaints about uncontrolled bleeding events they have engendered, it is safe to say that the plaintiff pool for Xarelto litigation will only continue to grow.
For these reasons and more, Xarelto lawyers everywhere are currently examining potential claims and researching allegations that the drug maker failed to warn consumers of known the medication’s known risks. Plaintiffs in Xarelto actions are expected to accuse Bayer and Johnson & Johnson of selling a defectively manufactured and designed product, promoting the drug to doctors and patients without sufficiently informing them of known dangers, representing the medication as being much safety than it was known to be and negligently marketing it as a safe and effective way to treat a pervasive medical condition. An ideal Xarelto lawyer is one who is not merely aiming to secure financial compensation on behalf of clients, but who is also working to hold a negligent drug maker accountable for the reckless ways in which it placed the public’s well-being in jeopardy.
How a talented Xarelto attorney can help injury victims
Making the effort to find the very best Xarelto lawyer can make a real difference in a plaintiff’s likelihood of success when it comes to receiving full and fair compensation. It is important for injury victims to realize that the law does provide them the opportunity to assert their rights and fight for substantial financial recovery.
Such compensation may include payments for:
- Past, present and future medical bills
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation service
- Lost wages
- Reduction in earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional upset
- Loss of familial relationships
- Funeral expenses in cases of wrongful death
It must be noted, however, that not every lawyer is properly equipped to competently handle a dangerous drug lawsuit. It is therefore essential for prospective plaintiffs to exercise great care when selecting an attorney to handle their Xarelto injury lawsuit.
For example, it is inadvisable to choose a practitioner who:
- Is unable to point to a significant background in product liability litigation
- Makes lots of lofty promises regarding potential financial recovery
- Is inaccessible and unresponsive to client questions
- Does not have a concrete record of success in similar cases
Critical factors when hiring a Xarelto lawyer
In terms of finding an attorney willing to handle a dangerous drug case, the options can often seem endless and overwhelming. However, locating a skilled practitioner who truly possesses the qualifications necessary to undertake such a task involves consideration of several factors.
To substantially improve the chances of prevailing in a Xarelto lawsuit:
- Insist on experience. Plaintiffs in dangerous drug cases must do battle with deep-pocketed pharmaceutical giants. Thus, it is essential to have advocates who have litigated similar matters and achieved demonstrable success. Negotiation as well as trial skills are required, in the event a settlement cannot be reached at at early stage.
- Take the time to find the right fit. No matter how impressive an attorney seems, if open, honest communication proves difficult, success may be tough to achieve. Seek a professional who is willing to answer questions, provide status updates and generally keep the lines of discourse open.
- Assess the full picture. Considering the complicated, highly technical nature of dangerous drug litigation, a successful legal team must be comprised of a broad team of professionals. To raise the chances of success in any case, an attorney will have strong relationships with researchers, medical experts and support staff, all of whom are committed to building the most effective case possible for clients.
Next stages in Xarelto litigation
The first Xarelto lawsuits are just beginning to be filed, and all signs suggest that a sizable wave of litigation is about to descend on the courts. While the eventual volume of Xarelto litigation has not yet been determined, considering the extraordinary popularity the drug has achieved in recent years and the legal history of the closely-related drug Pradaxa, its growth could indeed prove monumental. As allegations and evidence mount concerning the link between Xarelto use and dangerous, often life-threatening bleeding incidents, the time for victims to secure the help of an experienced, knowledgeable Xarelto lawyer is now.
- Huffington Post, Pradaxa and Xarelto: Top Heart Doctors Concerned Over New Blood Thinners, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/14/pradaxa-xarelto-blood-thinner-doctors-heart_n_1595971.html
- WebMD, FDA Rejects New Use For Blood Thinner Xarelto, http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20120622/fda-rejects-new-use-for-blood-thinner-xarelto
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Medication Guide - Xarelto, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/UCM280333.pdf