Hiring a Qualified Testosterone Lawyer
The subject of a massive advertising push in recent years, AndroGel and other testosterone therapy drugs have been promoted to millions of men as an effective means to combat some of the more unpleasant side effects of aging. Though only receiving FDA approval for the treatment of males who actually have an underlying medical condition responsible for their low serum testosterone levels, drugs such as AndroGel, Axiron, Androderm, Fortesta, Testim and Testopel have been marketed and widely prescribed to men who do not suffer from such conditions, but simply wish to ameliorate the fatigue, forgetfulness and low libido commonly associated with the aging process.
Despite the increasingly popularity of these drugs, controversy and complications have arisen with the use of these drugs. Reports of severe cardiovascular and other injuries connected to testosterone therapy drugs are on the rise.
On January 31, 2014, the FDA issued a side effects alert, stating that it would be conducting an investigation of the risk of heart attack, stroke and death in patients taking testosterone medications.
Now, growing numbers of injured men and their families are seeking the assistance of a qualified testosterone product liability lawyers.
How a testosterone lawyer can help
Men who have suffered ill effects from their use of testosterone therapy drugs have begun hiring lawyers specializing in dangerous drugs litigation, and for good reason. Pharmaceutical companies have vast resources at their disposal to defeat claims filed against them, which is why it is generally unwise to try to secure compensation independently.
A qualified testosterone side effects lawyer has the ability to navigate legal complexities, including burdens of proof, to help you establish theories of strict products liability, failure to warn, breach of warranty and more.
Seasoned products liability and dangerous drug lawyers understand how to marshal evidence in support of a plaintiffs’ claims and secure fair compensation for medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering and other losses sustained as a result of using testosterone therapy drugs.
Armed with two recently released research studies linking testosterone therapy and increased incidence of stroke, heart attack and death, an AndroGel lawyer will work to demonstrate that the harm you suffered was due to the acts and omissions of the manufacturer of the drug you were prescribed.
A testosterone therapy attorney can stand up to Big Pharma
An experienced dangerous drugs lawyer can help injured testosterone therapy patients in the following ways:
- Standing head-to-head with pharmaceutical giants: The makers of testosterone therapy products are some of the largest players in the pharmaceutical world. Thus, they have vast resources with which to defend claims made by individual plaintiffs; but products liability attorneys know how to identify class action or multidistrict litigation opportunities where it is easier to pool evidentiary resources and participate in fast-tracked processes.
- Managing key pretrial steps: Lawyers possessing substantial experience with drug litigation will have the structure, knowledge and resources necessary to efficiently conduct discovery, secure expert testimony and assemble all other evidentiary support for your claims. Finding an attorney with specialized medical litigation experience is one of the best things you can do to increase your chances of recovery.
- Engaging in settlement negotiations: Because it is quite common for large drug makers to offer financial settlement in exchange for resolution of litigation, it is important to find an AndroGel lawyer who can assess and advise you of the fairness of any offers received, whether it is in your interest to accept and how ongoing litigation may affect how much you ultimately might be able to obtain.
- Confidently taking your matter to trial: In the event that settlement negotiations fail to be fruitful, you need a testosterone attorney able to present persuasive arguments and comprehensive evidence to a jury. Seek professionals with strong records of securing sizable verdicts in dangerous drug cases.
Tips on selecting your lawyer
There are several key traits to be looked for in a product liability and/or personal injury lawyer:
- Experience: Always seek lawyers with established histories of successfully battling large pharmaceutical manufacturers and who are taken seriously by defense counsel in such cases.
- Skill: Avoid lawyers who make blanket promises about their ability to bring you a positive outcome, but rather search for lawyers who offer you a realistic, pragmatic picture of your individual case and an informed opinion about what is likely to occur.
- Efficiency: Because dangerous drug cases often bring thousands of injured plaintiffs to the forefront, it is important to find a lawyer who is familiar with mass tort matters and consolidated litigation, and who will not allow your case to get lost in the shuffle.
- Compensation Model: Many of the best testosterone therapy lawyers accept cases on contingency, and this is often the best option for plaintiffs. Securing the services of a such an attorney removes the risk to you of filing a lawsuit, because unless you receive a settlement or a verdict, you will owe nothing.
Current status of testosterone therapy litigation
Across the country, growing numbers of plaintiffs are filing suit against the makers of testosterone treatment drugs, alleging that they suffered severe cardiovascular complications and events due to their use of these treatments.
Many of these cases argue that AndroGel and similar medications caused heart attacks, strokes, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
One of the primary arguments being lodged against the drugmakers stems from the fact that these treatments have been widely marketed and prescribed to males with normal testosterone levels, despite the fact that the FDA only approved their use in the treatment of underlying conditions marked by insufficient testosterone production.
AndroGel lawyers nationwide are currently exploring potential claims on behalf of clients who have experienced strokes, heart attacks or even death in the aftermath of using prescription testosterone treatments.
Plaintiffs in testosterone therapy cases may be entitled to recover compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Disruption of familial and marital relations
- Lost wages
- Reduction in earning capacity
- Emotional distress
The number of AndroGel and other testosterone therapy lawsuits is expected to rise dramatically as awareness of the potential link between testosterone therapy and adverse health events expands.
Consumer watchdog advocate group Public Citizen has begun a campaign to convince the FDA of the need for a “black box” warning on all such products, delayed approval processes for any new injectable testosterone treatments and increased physician education about the risk of cardiovascular complications the medications pose.
- CBS News, Group asks FDA for black box warning on testosterone products due to heart risks, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/group-asks-fda-for-black-box-warning-on-testosterone-products-due-to-heart-risks/
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration, FDA evaluating risk of stroke, heart attack and death with FDA-approved testosterone products, http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm383904.htm
- Indianapolis Business Journal, Testosterone-replacement rival of Lilly's Axiron draws lawsuits, http://www.ibj.com/testosterone-replacement-rival-of-lillys-axiron-draws-lawsuits/PARAMS/article/46005